Copyright

You will copy with risks to penalties and criminal procedures.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Soup ideas for a cold

Garlic and green onion soup
I found inspiration of garlic soup in the book 400 soups. However, I seldom stick to recipes. I used olive oil instead of butter to saute some crushed garlic (8-10 cloves) until soft (not brown) and then added some chopped green onions. You may add herbs like thyme, parsley or cilantro. Add homemade or store-bought chicken broth (I used Certified Organic Swanson Chicken Broth), about 2 cups. I always like crushed pepper in hot soup, some green chilies and a squeeze of fresh lime. You may add roux to thicken the soup. I don't fancy it. Goes well with garlic crotons.

Dried mushroom soup
Soak dry mushrooms (I used a blend of morels, portobello and oyster mushrooms) in water at room temperature (retains flavor more than hot water) for 30 mins to  4 hours (until soft). Make sure there is no grit remaining. Rinse well. Squeeze extra water and slice them to serving size (or use pre-sliced mushrooms). You may strain and use the soaking liquid for extra flavor.  Saute the mushrooms in a saucepan with olive oil, parsley, 1 tsp dark soy sauce, cracked pepper and salt to taste. I added minced bulbs of green onions. You may add red onions and diced celery ribs. Add 2 -4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock/broth. Serve warm with grated parmesan on top.

Those who want a spicier version may add some minced green chilies, chipotle powder and some garlic flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment