Copyright

You will copy with risks to penalties and criminal procedures.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Black-eyed peas

I like the Punjabi Lobia Masala. Incidentally, I concocted a recipe today which I have taken a fancy to. If you are brave enough to try it, let me know how you like it.

Black-eyed peas with mint and coconut
Ingredients
Black eyed peas (lobia) -Soaked overnight
Grated ginger
cumin seeds
Coriander seeds
Kasuri methi
Mint leaves
Amchur powder
Cilantro (coriander leaves)
Bay leaves
Grated coconut

Method:
1. Boil or pressure cook all the ingredients(except the cilantro, which we will use for garnishing- you can make your own version/garnish, and the coconut) with suitable amount of water, salt and turmeric
2. Discard the bay leaves and blend the mix in a blender
3. I use freshly ground spices in my recipes- make basic garam masala using cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. You can add a bit of other hot spices like nutmeg powder too.
4. I grated coconut using the same coffee grinder for dry powdered coconut.
5. Put the mix and the coconut/ garam masala in the same vessel. Judge the need of adding any more water (microwaved for a minute)
6. Boil until it reaches desired consistency. Can add a little butter if you want to be evil.
7. Add minced cilantro for garnish.

Generally, lobia is eaten whole. But I have found experimenting with lentils can be satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment